Florida Building Commission
Mechanical Technical Advisory Committee
concurrent with the Structural Technical Advisory Committee
May 31, 2012
10 a.m. -10:50 A.M.
Teleconference Meeting from Tallahassee, Florida
Call-In Number: 1-888-808-6959; Code: 205 936 0213
Webinar: Go to
If requested, enter name, email address, click “join”
Review of objectives will include the following: Description of issue, discussion by TAC, public comment, TAC action
TAC MEMBERS PRESENT: Rafael Palacios, Chair; Larry Banks; Joe Crum; Jim Cummings; Elizabeth Goll; Brian Mumme for Gary Griffin; Scott Mollan; Don Pitmann; PeteQuintela
Approved Meeting Agenda
Approved November 29, 2010, Meeting Minutes
The TAC reviewed and provided recommendations on DEC statement request DS 2012-037 by Raymond A. Manucy on behalf of RM Enterprises, as follows:
1) Question: Do I need to update my
Answer: The State Product Approval Program is optional to that of the local product approval. Should you elect to update your current state product approval “#FL 3203 –R2” for compliance with the 2010 Florida Building Code, then the answer is “Yes”.
2) Question: Do I need to meet exposure ratings (B,C,D) of the Florida Building Code 2010 section 1609.4.3 Building Section and ASCE 7-10 (FL) Where Florida Building Code 2007 ASCE 7-05 only applies Exposure “C”? Yes or No?
Answer: For the purpose of demonstrating compliance with the 2010 Florida Building (FBC), compliance with the applicable provisions of ASCE 7 – 2010 and the FBC are required.
3) Question: Is it correct that Florida Building Code 2010, ASCE 7-10 (FL) specifies higher lateral loads of 3.1 to 1 for all building heights. Where the Florida Building Code 2007, ASCE 7-05 only specified 1.9 to 1.0 for buildings 60’ or less. Yes or No.
Answer: In accordance with Section 1609.8 of the FBC, Building, the answer is “Yes”, however the 3.1 is permitted to be reduced based on the effective area.
4) Question: Is it correct that the
Florida Building Code 2010, ASCE 7-10 (FL) specifies the use of uplift
pressure equal to 1.5 to 1 and the
Answer: In accordance with Section 1609.8 of the FBC, B, the answer is “Yes”, however the 1.5 is permitted to be reduced based on the effective area.
5) Question: Do I need to meet both the higher lateral loads and uplift loads? Yes or No?
Answer: In accordance with Section 1609.8 of the FBC, B, the answer is “Yes”.
6) Question: I am correct to say the 2010 FBC – Residential Section R4403.9.1 Building and Structures, and every portion thereof, shall be designed and constructed to meet the requirements of chapter 26 through 31 of ASCE 7-10? Yes or No?
Answer: With regard to the product in question and in accordance with Section R4403.9.1 of the FBC, Residential, the answer is “Yes”.
7) Question: Does the Governor want the FBC 2010, ASCE 7-10 (FL) to be applied to building doors, garage doors windows and roof tiles? Yes or No?
Answer: The answer to this question is outside the scope of the Declaratory Statement request.
Adjourned at 10:50 AM
Staff Contacts: Ann Stanton, firstname.lastname@example.org, (850) 488-0964; Mo Madani, Manager